Sunday, April 10, 2011

Park Message today - Prayer and Praise

I find it odd, knowing the grace and mercy of God, along with his power and glory, that I often forget to "pray." I praise - I even praise alot in times of trial - but prayer eludes me. Why is that?

The message today, at Park, once again reminded me how incomplete my journey in Christ is. (insert sigh here)

James 5:13-18 :: Prayer

James 5:13-18 ESV
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.

I find it ironic - all those times we were trying to get pregnant (all five years of it) I praised God no matter each month.  I don't remember "praying" all that often the desires of my heart.  Don't get me wrong - I prayed, usually with each BFN or each failed attempt or more statistics thrown on our lap.  I never really just cried out to God the anger, hurt and longing of my heart.  However, as soon as we found out we were preggers - I have prayed and praised almost every day.  Did I fail this trial?  

About a two weeks ago I had a scare at work - thinking it was just one more miscarriage.  I immediately started praising and praying till I was home in bed and praying more.  I did turn to praising and have been praising every day since knowing my hope lies in Christ not in the certainty of statistics and doubt of man.  I feel maybe I grew this this last trial - but how do I learn from this and grow?  How do I chose to pray first and then act?  I always seem to "act" first not pray.

My confession is that I do not rely on God for all, everything, anything.  My confession is that I worry, fear, fret and become anxious over everything - most of which is not in my control.

My prayer is that I grow to rely on God more, that I am quick to prayer and slow to action, that I be more mindful of where I am at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment