Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Reclaiming the morning

As the clock goes tick tick tick on my maternity leave, ripping my baby from my arms and me from him, we have been doing small things to ease back into work for both me and Kiwi. 

One of the things we have done is devote morning time to my hubby.  Many mornings I may be up and out the door by 0800 meaning prep time for work will take place while hubby is getting the girls up and out the door.  I have been giving up Kiwi (from my warm embrace) in the morning so that my hubby can balance him and the rest of the morning routine. 

In the past two weeks it has gone well.  He holds Kiwi (or one of the girls) and manages breakfast and girls out the door on time.  Kiwi has even begun the routine of napping till about 1130 every morning (and God help the person who interupts this time of napping for whatever reason other than booby time).

This morning was hillarious and my hubby handled it well.  

It went something like this.....

I nursed lil man all night with a final feeding somewhere around 0630ish.... 

Hubby was up and about somewhere around 0630ish....

Hubby takes Kiwi somewhere around 0645ish....

Hubby arouses the girls somewhere around 0700ish.....

Somewhere inbetween or around these two events he changes Kiwi and dresses him.....

Insert Glitch

Ro walks in and says (while I try to get some uninterrupted sleep) "dad's giving kekeboo a bath."

I respond - "ok sounds nice"  

Insert delayed thought process

Mom proceeds to climb out of bed "why in the blazes is he giving him a bath now"

Hubby trying to defuse the situation "all is well just go back to bed I'm on it."

Zombie mom (that's me) stumbling around trying to get breakfast for the girls to "help out" while hubby telling me to "go back to bed would you - I got this"

Insert crash, bang, boom, scatter

Mom just spilled the entire box of Corn Pops on the counter (see our cereal is on the absolute top shelf in our kitchen - why this hasn't happened before this is beyond me!  Why it had to happen today is even further beyond my grasp!)

Hubby starts yelling at zombie wife (that would be me) "for the love I GOT THIS - go back to bed now I have two messes to clean up."  

Zombie mom (that's me again), walking back to bed turns to say "what mess?"

Ro - "poop mom poop!  poop ALL OVER, from heel to head, knee to arm pit!"

Kiwi (sitting in bath tub) - coo, smile, coo, giggle, splashing water

Hubby - "it was beyond comprehension - just unbelievable a baby his size could make such a mess"

Zombie mom - ROFLMNBO "k - your on it - going to take my 'nap'"

Hubby - "don't worry about me - I got this - I am on it!  All is well!  Isn't it Kiwi?"

Kiwi - (sitting in bath tub) - coo, smile, coo, giggle, splashing water


Here is to my SAHD who handled all of this with aplumb:

  1. Girls dressed, fed and off to school on time.
  2. Kiwi bathed, dressed and down for his nap by 0800
  3. Mom oblivious to how he did this (and that's a good place for mom to be)!

No comments:

Post a Comment